We all go through transitions: times of change in our lives. Often just before we change we experience a stage of confusion. We may feel out of control, frustrated or lost. I remember this time well… My circumstances were changing dramatically and the only sure thing in my life were my values. When you are evolving from one stage to another it is essential to clarify what is really important to you. It’s very personal, built from past experiences and future dreams and it is the core essence of you that will enable you to live your life true to yourself. Core values give you the anchor to focus your energy on. They inspire you to keep going, through thick and thin and to persevere when you feel like giving up.
- Help you make choices
- Help you to screen and filter naturally
- Increase your feeling of direction
- Increase your feeling of happiness and fulfilment
- Are essential to finding your purpose and direction in life
- Help you set better goals
- Increase your motivation and can act as a catalyst to goal achievement
- Measure the meaning that life holds for us
- Life flows more easily when you’re in line with your values
- Conflict with our values causes stress and life can be a struggle
Freedom to be Yourself
When I was able to express my true values I felt such an immediate sense of freedom and integrity. For some time I had pushed down my need to love and connect with people, to give back and to care. I had been influenced by other people’s values. It took some time to find myself again. The journey continues but the first stage for me was to get in touch with my values.